Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Tearin' the roof off this mother like Parliament: Present top 5 female rappers

At the age of 14, I fell in love with rap. I was raised in mostly white areas and wasn't exposed to it at a young age. When I moved to Georgia at the time So So Def was King, everyday outings and social activities where molded around this drum and base from Dj Kizzy Rock, Kilo, ABC, and 8ball and MJG and my fascination of getting into 559. When I had this discussion with Yaiesha and Carly about the best female MC's it came from the most insane topic, a Nikki Minaj video on BET. Not only did I almost spit up my strawberry lemonade by the ridiculous video, but more from the fact that this video is # 2 on the BET countdown. Next at number one was Drake with It's over, something I will address later on in a post. I believed when I saw this video that this must be a joke, I looked at Yai and said...is their a beat on this song? Yaiesha responded by telling me that her stylist had a field day like freaknik. Oh I see.. It just make no sense. Hummm. Getting back to my point or rather my question, What happened to awsome female rappers? Lets start with the top five, with five being Da Brat.
I can't speak on her present work or lack their of, I'm speaking about the impact of this album. Lets just call a spade a spade, Jermaine Dupree was on fire around this time and he could do no wrong production wise. What? You wanna do a rap album?? Oh, with a female MC? Oh and put Parliament Funkadelic on your album? It's a page right out of doggystyle but way more silky. Rap around this time was just fun and made you feel good and groundbreaking, not to mention Da Brat was the first female rapper to go platinum EVER!!! Lyrically Da Brat had a type of swagger these fake female MC's only wish they had. Let's just call it silky

1 comment: